Free Strategic Review Contact Ross Today
Recent Domestic Violence Case Results
Ross C. Goodman is a Las Vegas native who served as a Major in the U.S. Marine Corps. In 2001, Ross started a boutique criminal defense practice following his father Oscar B. Goodman who was a nationally acclaimed criminal defense attorney.Learn More
Domestic Violence Information
LAS VEGAS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: INTRODUCTION
WHAT CONSTITUTES DOMESTIC BATTERY?
- A battery is any “willful and unlawful” use of force or violence upon the person of another. NRS 200.481(1)(a)
- A person commits an act that constitutes domestic violence against or upon the person’s spouse or former spouse, any other person to whom the person is related by blood or marriage, any other person with whom the person is or was actually residing, any other person with whom the person has had or is having a dating relationship, any other person with whom the person has a child in common, the minor child of any of those persons, the person’s minor child or any other person who has been appointed the custodian or legal guardian for the person’s minor child. NRS 33.018
DOMESTIC BATTERY IS AN ENHANCEABLE CRIME
- It is critical to aggressively defend a domestic battery charge in Las Vegas because the second domestic violence conviction within seven years of the first one is enhanced starting with a minimum of 10 days to a maximum of 6 months in jail.
- A domestic battery (third offense) within seven years is a category C Felony which carries a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 5 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $10,000.00
- In addition, domestic battery is enhanced if it involves strangulation, substantial bodily harm, use of a deadly weapon or battery against a protected person.
DOMESTIC BATTERY BY STRANGULATION
- applying pressure on the throat or neck; or
- blocking the nose or mouth of another person in a manner;
DOMESTIC BATTERY CAUSING SUBSTANTIAL BODILY HARM ("SBH”) AND PENALTIES IF IN POSSESSION OF A FIREARM
- a substantial risk of death; or
- which causes serious, permanent disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ; or
- prolonged physical pain that lasts longer than the pain immediately resulting from the wrongful act
BATTERY WITH USE OF A DEADLY WEAPON
COERCION IS A RELATED CHARGE BASED UPON MANY OF THE SAME FACTS WHICH CONSTITUTE DOMESTIC BATTERY
- Using violence or inflicting injury upon the other person or any of the other person’s family, or upon the other person’s property, or threatening such violence or injury;
- Deprive the person of any tool, implement or clothing, or hinder the person in the use thereof; or
- Attempt to intimidate the person by threats or force.
SELF-DEFENSE, LAWFUL RESISTANCE AND CONSENT
WHEN VICTIMS ARE A NO-SHOW AND MATERIAL WITNESS WARRANTS
BE AWARE OF COLLATERAL CONSEQUENCES OF A DOMESTIC BATTERY CONVICTION
Family issues are part and parcel of living together, but in many cases, a minor discussion between couples or parents can lead to serious confrontations and physical altercations. In the worst cases, family members can get involved in periodical incidents of domestic violence, from excessive physical disciplining to illegal detention.
On the other end of the scale, what one interprets as systematic domestic violence may actually just be an accidental action brought upon by the heat of the moment. Such incidents can lead to you being charged with a domestic violence complaint, a hard case to get out of unless you have the assistance of a veteran domestic violence lawyer in Las Vegas.
Goodman Criminal Defense Attorney offers reliable domestic violence defense services for clients in and around Las Vegas. He has extensive experience with handling complaints relating to domestic battery, battery by strangulation, and protective and restraining orders. Related cases like stalking and illegal detention can also be covered.